We recently wrote to CEO Mike Thomas to ask the following range of questions about your workplace and work practices:
- Staff have to supply their own face masks for work purposes
- The issues of Don College students on placement being left one on one with clients
- Staff are called into the office for what seems to be disciplinary reasons without being offered a chance to have a representative
- The issue of untrained staff being asked to do stoma care
- Short notice for rosters
- Roster changes are happening without notifying staff
- One-on-one funded clients don’t have a worker assigned to them for one-on-one care
- Inequity in the invitations and rostering of staff meetings
- Some staff are unable to use St Michaels’s vehicles or claim mileage when using their own cars due to rostering clients being too close together or clients are not funded for travel
- Workers have no time for breaks due to rostering of clients and the travel time it takes to get between clients
Mike has now responded and said they’ve taken action on some issues while some are “still under investigation”, but still a couple of issues don't seem to be on their radar. You can read Mike’s full response in our 28 June email to members.
If you have information or evidence that contradicts Mike’s responses, in particular things like last-minute changes to your rosters, please contact HACSUassist with that information so that we can have further discussions with him.