After what seems like ages, the vote for your replacement agreement concluded earlier this week.
Disappointingly, a low number of eligible workers voted but the result is 51 voted yes and 3 voted no, so the agreement is endorsed and heads to the Fair Work Commission (FWC) to be registered.
The agreement does have some improvements and, of course, wage increases:
• The agreement will be in force for 3 years.
• 3% wage increase in base rates for all employees covered by the agreement to apply from the first full pay period after the agreement is registered. St Giles will increase wages by a further 2% per year or the FWC minimum wage panel increase - whichever is greater. This is scheduled annually in July.
• Buddy shifts allowance of $2 per hour. There will be a particular process put in place for buddy shifts and the allowance.
• Beneficial changes to family violence leave with a proposal for 3 days paid leave per occasion, uncapped.
• Agreement to a process to review contracted hours for permanent part time employees.
• Agreement on a casual conversion provision where casual workers can request conversion to permanent part time where certain factors are met.
• Agreement on a clause where workers can access a wages payment outside the normal pay cycle if there’s been a mistake or underpayment that would reasonably cause financial stress.
The patience and perseverance of members through the process and the complications of the last 12 months is commendable, and the improvements to wages and conditions are testament to a self-evident fact - union members get better results than other workers.
For more info or to discuss the next steps in the process, please contact HACSUassist on 1300 880 032 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org