NWRH annual leave to isolation reimbursement

Posted on
May 7, 2020
Public Sector

We’ve received calls about the use of annual leave during isolation.

We wrote to the THS to get their position on various leave scenarios.
THS have now advised the following: 

  • If you elect to take and then start annual or long service leave, but your unit closes and you’re directed to self-isolate, you’ll have any leave used from the commencement date of the isolation or unit closure reimbursed. Any leave used before the self-isolation period won’t be reimbursed at this stage.
  • If you’re immunocompromised, prompting you to access annual or long service leave, and are then directed to isolate, leave will also be reimbursed from the date of your isolation period or unit closure. Any leave used before this date will be looked at on a case-by-case basis, with various factors determining the outcome, ie requests for safer work area, requests to work from home where possible, medical evidence etc.  

Remember, there may be some limited exceptions in terms of a member returning from overseas travel or if they could’ve worked from home instead, so if one of these scenarios fits the situation members should contact their manager and ask for reimbursement of leave hours. If not satisfied with their response please contact HACSUassist on 1300 880 032 to discuss further.

Keep up the good work!

For more information about this or any other industrial matter, members should contact HACSUassist on 1300 880 032 or email assist@hacsu.org.au or complete our online contact form

Public Sector