Negotiators appointed by the government to finalise arrangements for a COVID-19 allowance have again cancelled a meeting - this one should’ve happened last Friday.
Unions want an allowance for everyone who works throughout a COVID level 3 escalation, but government said they’ll only consider paying one when and if we ever get to a level 4 situation. That’s an allowance you have when you don’t have an allowance, and we’ve sought payment for past and future level 3 escalations.
The proposed level 3 payments of up to $60 vary depending on the work you do and the environment you’re working in, and they fairly reflect what’s already been discussed between the parties and who should be covered by this agreement.
To have the government trying to delay and frustrate this is unacceptable and we’ve made this very clear and said we expect a meeting this week.
The government has also indicated its intention to withdraw from the Domestic and International Hotels Quarantine Agreement. Many members who work in these settings are currently receiving an allowance and for months we’ve been trying to renegotiate this agreement, but the government’s wish to cease payments is not accepted by any unions.
We’ll update you once we do get to meet with the government but, if that meeting can’t be scheduled, we’ll be discussing our next options.