Calvary Health Care

Posted on
May 19, 2021
Health Services Industry

Workers’ compensation and your union.

In Tasmania, workers’ comp (WC) is provided under the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988, to a worker who has suffered an injury or disease arising out from their employment.

If you have ever heard about WC, it is very important to give notice and put the claim in within the timeframes and providing the right details. If you are unsure about how to make a claim, you need to contact us as soon as possible after an injury/accident or incident.

If things aren’t done right or on time, then an employer (or their insurer) may grab onto a legal loophole to close a claim. Employers often say that the injury is not “caused by work” or that it was “reasonable management action”, particularly about mental health claims.

As soon as you have injured yourself at work, members need to inform HACSU so we can help you through the WC claim process. When you receive any advice about a claim after it is made, again call us to double check that you understand what you have been given. Sometimes GPs will not give you the right advice, so if unsure – check with us.

Our organisers are here to assist you make a claim and give you guidance about what is likely to happen next. We also often refer members to our legal representatives as this is a very litigious space and getting the right legal advice is invaluable, especially when claims are being challenged.

Remember, we can’t help you after it’s already too late!

You can contact us by phoning 1300 880 032 or via email

For more information about this or any other industrial matter, members should contact HACSUassist on 1300 880 032 or email or complete our online contact form

Health Services Industry