We have met with most of you over recent days to get your feedback on how you want to move forward. The clear majority position is to not lift any of the current bans.
We have written to Healthscope about resolving these key issues:
- Nurses want an immediate and transparent review of all base rosters. They need to be based on 95% occupancy unless there is a need to be higher.
- There still needs to be an acuity trigger built into this review for flexing up to additional staff. This could be ad-hoc, temporary or on a permanent basis given clinical acuity averages/changes.
- 3.5 nurses per theatre is the minimum commitment for safe operating environments as per the ACORN standards. Healthscope needs to undertake an immediate review of recovery staff in line with the same standards.
- Healthscope needs to hold a workload workshop immediately (this week, if possible), with paid attendance of at least 2 staff members (workers, not managers) from each of the workgroups. The workshop is to establish the baseline issues for each relevant workgroup.
- We’ll establish firm and agreed principles and objectives for the ongoing Workload Consultative Committee with a view to removing ambiguity and having clearly defined triggers for how to raise and manage a dispute about workloads/staffing.
- The next bargaining meeting should be scheduled for the week of 22 March.
Your campaign is working and now is the time to stick together.
We welcome your feedback and if you have any questions, please contact your workplace delegates or HACSUassist on 1300 880 032.